I won’t go into too, too much detail about this one, but as you can see something… magical… is afoot!
I recently came across a post by @yvo about these really cool Harry Potter themed readathons called O.W.L.S. and N.E.W.T.S. which takes place in April (for the O.W.L.S.) and August (for the N.E.W.T.S.). This is the second year it’s being run and apparently it’s got quite a following!
Now, typically you’d have to have completed your O.W.L.S. before you can take your N.E.W.T.S. and the same is true for this readathon, but since I LITERALLY ONLY FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS A WEEK AGO, there’s just NO WAY I could try doing my O.W.L.S. first before starting this month’s N.E.W.T.S.
There’s a lot of rules to this readathon, so for those interested, all the information is linked below, but honestly all you need to do is watch this delightful video by the very creator of this magical readathon, Book Roast herself!
And if you want to learn more about the O.W.L.S. in preperation for next year (I presume??), check out the 2019 O.W.L.S. announcement below:
LINKS TO EVERYTHING N.E.W.T.S. READATHON
MAGICAL READATHON EXPLAINED https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z…
Magical recommendations of best books from OWLs 2019 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/…
Forbidden section book BD link: https://www.bookdepository.com/Spells… * This is the book you can use to replace any other prompt with!
Book tracker for common page count to be used during the NEWTs 2019 https://forms.gle/Y5KV8CEM3i1seJhB9
Magical Readathon playlist:
As for me — I’m super terrible at deciding on a single career, so I ended up just picking the ones I liked most or would most likely want to do, and ended up with this ridiculously massive reading schedule which I’m quite sure I’ll never finish in time for Aug 31st. (But here’s to overachieving and setting impossible goals!! 8DD)
The careers that SPEAK TO ME:
- MOM – Dept. of Mysteries
What that translates to in terms of books are as follows:
For the Writer career, I need an E in History, A in Muggle Studies, and an A in 1 more subject of my picking = 4 books
For the Librarian career, I need an O in Ancient Runes, an E in DADA, and an E in History = 7 books
For the Magizoologist career, I need an O in Care of Magical Creatures, E in Charms, and E in Herbology = 7 books
For any Ministry Worker position, I would need an A in… Charms, DADA, Potions, and Transfiguration, but to be placed in the Dept. of Mysteries (which is ACTUALLY the only supposed “desk job” I’d be interested in), I need at least 4 O’s at the N.E.W.T. lvl in any class.
(So to make things easier on myself, I’m just striving for O’s in the four classes listed above, bringing the total for this one to a whooping 12!)
And finally, for the Astronomer career, I need O in Astronomy, and O in Arithmancy, and an A in History = 7 books
That all comes up to… lord… 37 books!!
However, since many of these N.E.W.T.S. overlap with one another (e.g. I need to complete the “History” N.E.W.T.S. for 3 different careers: Astronomer, Librarian, AND Writer), I’m not reading separate books for each career. That means, I’ll read to the highest “grade” needed in each N.E.W.T.S. for ALL careers and then apply those read books to whatever career it falls under.
For instance, I only need an A in History for the Astronomy career, but for Librarian and Writer I need an E.
So I’ll read 2 books for History to be qualified for an “E”, and apply the “A” grade book to Astronomy and the “A” & “E” grade books to both the Librarian and Writer careers.
Which means, in reality, I’ll only be reading 29 books instead of a beastly 37.
(It’s still an awful bloody lot, gods above and below…)
So far, I’m actually doing somewhat okay.
Just, y’know, gotta not think about the fact that I basically have to read 29 books in 31 days! 8DDDDD
NO PRESSURE OR ANYTHING WHATSOEVER AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
VERY TENTATIVE TBR
for this readathon goes as follows:
- A: a fantasy book [The Lost Gate (Mither Mages, #1) by Orson Scott Card]
- E: a book that includes a map [Neverwhere (London Below, #1) by Neil Gaiman]
- A: book cover has photo element [Omega Society Auction: Book One (Rourke #1) by Eileen Glass]
- A: read a book recommendation from a friend [Brave Face by Shaun David Hutchinson]
- E: a book written in past tense [Backwoods Asylum by Megan Derr]
- O: a book that has been on your TBR for ages [Genetic Snare (Details #2) by Laura Baumbach — IT’S BEEN ON MY TBR SINCE 2014!!! x__X]
- A: a book that’s black under the dust jacket [My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite]
- E: Quick! Think of a book on your TBR. Read that book [Konoyo Ibun Vol.7 by Tsuta Suzuki]
- O: a book written by an English author or set in England [Lord of the Flies by William Golding]
- A: a book title that begins with an “A” [Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman]
- E: a book under 300 pages [Mugen no Roukaku by Shin Mizukami]
- O: a book with a bird on the cover [A Guide to the Birds of East Africa (Mr Malik #1) by Nicholas Drayson]
- A: a book w/ a gorge cover [Fate Makes No Mistake by Shin]
- E: a manga/comic/graphic novel/webtoon [Choco Strawberry Vanilla by Delico Psyche]
- O: a paperback book [Kinpeibai Kinden Honoo no Kuchizuke by Shin Mizukami]
- A: an audiobook or green cover [IDFK]
- E: a book between 350-390 pages long [NO CLUE YET ahahahah 8D Maybe when I check my copy later I’ll see about either “The Dispossessed” or “The Left Hand of Darkness” by Ursula K. Le Guin or maybe “The Martian” by Andy Weir….. I’m pretty sure one of those are within range (hopefully)]
- A: read your friend’s favourite book [Hua Hua You Long [花花遊龍] by Xing Bao Ni — don’t judge… i certainly don’t xD]
- E: a book with your house color as the cover (so for me, I’m a Raverin/Slytherclaw so either any combination of blue/bronze, green/silver, blue/silver, green/bronze, blue/green, silver/bronze, blue, green, silver, or bronze) [The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause]
- O: a book that starts with a prologue [The Book of the Crowman (Black Dawn #2) by Joseph D’Lacey]
- A: a book with LGBTQUAI+ themes or in the genre of [Don’t Call Us Dead by Danez Smith]
- E: a book that is “not the first in a series” [Klaxon at the Core (Psionic Frequency, #2) by Talya Andor]
- O: 500+ [Addicted: Book Two – The Raging Flames of Passion by Chai Jidan]
- A: a book that ends on an even page # [Always Masked by Megan Derr]
E: a stand alone [The Elf and Shoemaker by M.L. Rhodes]
O: a book that is longer than 300 pgs [The God Eaters by Jesse Hajicek]
- A: a book w/ “moon” on cover or in title [Blood In Water by Megan Derr]
- E: a book w/ “night” in title or series title [In The Forest Of The Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes]
- O: a sci-fi or book with stars on cover [Bending The Landscape: Science Fiction compiled by Nicola Griffith]
CLOSING THOUGHTS / SLIGHT HIATUS
As you can well see, I’m going to have my hands full over the next month. So this is just a notice to all my lovely followers out there that there will less content posted on this blog during that time. I literally cannot be posting every day, or even every other day, if I also want to try getting through 29 books in a single month’s time.
That being said, I will still try to post whenever I can, but I just wanted to let y’all know that I haven’t disappeared again xD I’m just holed up somewhere reading like a true book dragon ought. ❤
Is anyone else doing this AMAZING challenge this month? Comment below and link back to your own posts/blogs/etc. where you’re keeping track of your progress! I’d love to follow you along this journey. :3