Author: Poppy Z. Brite
Page Length: 185 pages
Synopsis: Are You Loathsome Tonight? (also titled Self-Made Man) is a collection of short stories.
- Introduction by Peter Straub
- In Vermis Veritas
- Saved (with Christa Faust)
- King of Cats (with David Ferguson)
- Self-Made Man
- Pin Money
- Entertaining Mr. Orton
- Monday’s Special (A Dr. Brite story)
- Vine of the Soul
- Mussolini and the Axeman’s Jazz
- Are You Loathsome Tonight?
- …And In Closing (For Now) by Caitlín R. Kiernan
“Los Angeles was a city with an enormous nervous system, but no brain.”
― Poppy Z. Brite, Are You Loathsome Tonight?, “Self-Made Man”
Why did I chose this book?
This collection of bizarre and strange horrific tales deserves special mention for “America” (you’ll never guess who makes an appearance, Lost Souls fans *wink*) and, more specifically… “King of Cats.” This story… does something I haven’t seen many other fairytale retellings do, and that is… change up some aspect of it (in this case, made it gay), add (or keep) a bit of macabre, make it… adult (if you know what I mean… *eyebrow wiggle*), and somehow keep it SERIOUS and not some spoofy, silly nonsense not worth anyone’s time. This story… ugh… I’ve been obsessed with it for over a decade. It’s just too good. It brings new life to a very short fairytale most may not even know or remember.
My only con would be that for a book this short, it is quite pricey. But honestly? It’s worth every penny. I would buy it again if I had to right now and not even feel the least bit sorry.
What I love/like about it:
- LOOKIT ZE COVER. (If you haven’t figured it out by now, coverpron will always be the best pron <3)
- Slightly bizarre or macabre spin in each story that is completely unexpected
- GOOD — scratch that — EXCELLENT gay horror, anyone? That would be yes/yes!
Warnings or Triggers
(highlight below to see)
All kinds. I can’t even begin to list them here.
ALTERNATIVE TITLES FOR THE DAY
I don’t have any reason for choosing these besides the fact that they’re awesome and amazing. (Although, the particular collection of Bending The Landscape that I chose for today really isn’t all that good in comparison to the Science Fiction and ESPECIALLY the Fantasy collections. Homg… if you want to read some non-horror, go read the Fantasy and then the Science Fiction collections of Bending The Landscape. You will not be disappointed. ❤ ❤ ❤ )