Hullo again, everyone! It’s that time again~
“Travels with Penny: True Travel Tales of a Gay Guy and His Mom” Virtual Book Tour is coming to an end, and it’s time for me to put in my two cents on this phenomenal memoir.
As usual, check out the book deets, as well as the author’s travel playlist for Penny! Then scroll down for the rafflecopter giveaway and a chance to win a Signed Paperback of Travels With Penny, $10 Starbuck’s Gift Card, and a Surprise “Seattle Themed” Prize!
Final note, my review of the book will be available here!
Two things flashed through my mind when I opened the door to the sex shop to find my mother standing in front of the display case talking to a tall salesman wearing a leather harness, jock strap and a dog collar. The first was, “Oh, crap.” The second was, “I hate when Dad’s right.”
Following the sudden death of his father, a single, middle-aged gay guy struggles with his own mortality be reminiscing about the travels with his gregarious mother. It is a look at the transformation of the baffling, complex relationship between children and their parents.
Top 11 Roadtrip Music
“A Playlist For Penny”
I asked Dave for some roadtrip songs that either fit the characters or would be (annoyingly or enthusiastically) sung by the cast and/or played on the radio, someone’s phone, or mp3 player throughout the book. I couldn’t be more pleased with what he came up with XD
A PLAYLIST FOR PENNY | [listen here] |
i. dizzy – scooter lee | ii. pretty woman – elvis presley | iii. boy named sue – johnny cash | iv. it’s raining men – the weather girls | v. on the road again – willie nelson | vi. monster mash – halloween | vii. copacabana – barry manilow | viii. weekend in new england – barry manilow | ix. boogie woogie bugle boy of company b – the andrews sisters | x. bad – michael jackson | xi. ring of fire – johnny cash
- Dizzy – this was the song playing for the line dancers the first time I took Penny to a Contra Dance
- Pretty Woman – this was Dad’s song to Penny. He would play it on their anniversary, birthdays and special occasions.
- Boy Named Sue – this was one of mom’s favorites. I remember her singing it – LOUDLY – and off key whenever we went on a road trip
- It’s Raining Men – mostly because Penny and I would listen to it and laugh like little kids. It always struck her as hysterical
- On The Road Again. For most of my childhood, whenever the family got in the car to go somewhere, mom and dad would spend the first few miles singing this song. Whether the radio was on or not. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.
- Monster Mash. No reason, other than I love this freakin’ song.
- Copacabana. The first concert I ever went to was Barry Manilow. For weeks afterward, this was Penny’s favorite song. I never got tired of listening to it.
- Weekend In New England. After living in Bangor, Maine for two years, whenever I hear this song I think of chilly summer nights watching waves crash on the sand. Can’t get enough of it.
- Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy Of Company B. One of my all time “Feel good” songs. For some reason, Mom knows all the words. I have no explanation for that one.
- Bad. Whenever Mom and I are together and this song comes on the radio, we both die of laughter remembering how Michael Jackson was trying to butch it up. Never gets old
- Ring of Fire. Have no idea why. We both like it.
CLICK BELOW FOR THE GIVEAWAY!!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
And Good Luck!