Sorry for the premature update earlier! Here’s the completed version. Enjoy! 🙂
Tiger Boys by Linda Gayle (author) • 2014 • 225 pages
Blurb (from GoodReads): Grad student Jules has always felt different. He’s got buddies, sure, but relationships make him turn tail and run. Dreams of tigers and memories of a mysterious great-grandmother make him wonder if there’s something his parents aren’t telling him. When an unexpected inheritance offers clues to Jules’s destiny, he’s intrigued, to say the least. It doesn’t hurt that the news is delivered by a sexy Russian who seems to know Jules better than he knows himself.
A prince of a powerful tiger clan, Sergei Sidorenko wants to live as an ordinary man. But his family nags him to take his place as king. They offer him a deal: teach the lost prince Julian how to shape-shift and control his untapped sorcerous talent. Then Jules will be king, and war between the once-rival clans will be avoided. Most importantly, Sergei will be released from clan obligations forever. It sounds like an easy out. But Sergei doesn’t count on Jules being so temptingly innocent, so eager to learn. Lessons in sorcery turn to lessons in love. And Sergei falls hard for Jules.
Dark clouds gather over the tiger clans. In a bid to seize power, Jules’s ambitious older brother, Anton, works on the key to immortality. And he needs Jules’s flesh and blood to finish the spell. Tangled in Anton’s machinations, with a traitor in their midst, Jules and Sergei must fight for their lives—and for the love that destiny would deny them.
Genre/Themes: Shifters, Tiger shifters/weres, Princes, Royalty, Long Lost Prince, Evil Siblings, The Chosen One, Can’t Fight This Feeling!, Family Ties, Reluctant Hero(es), Supernatural/Paranormal Romance, Magic!, Crazy Killer Tigers (and Humans, too)
Got My Copy: Borrowed (for free on Kindle)
Overall Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
Review & Evaluation:
→ Characters: 5
→ Plot/Concept: 4
→ Delivery: 4.5
→ Message: 4.5
- Author’s writing style. Superb!
- The Characters. (Especially Jules, who is so “WTF” about everything and wondering WHY ME for good reasons, because WHY HIM?! I also really liked Sergi and his sister probably more than I should have. And that family— YIKES! What a bunch of classic A-holes! But still, well done.)
- Premise and story was fantastic. This was a nice, fun read. Not something to ponder over until the ends of time, but definitely an enjoyable pastime.
- I’m supposed to dislike something???? 8D
- Okay, so maybe I had one quip: Bad guy (Ito) was… really… really weird. And NOT in a good way. I actually didn’t understand his purpose at all (In the scheme of things). He was just bad to be bad? Or was he actually trying to make things better for their race? Or was he and his accomplice REALLY just trying to force Sergi’s hand? And if that was the case then… okay. Well. I guess it worked but…. It didn’t translate over that way from the writing. In which case… author error??? And if not then, what even, man? 8DD Bad guy was bad to be bad, apparently? Which really doesn’t cut it for me hur hur?
I’m REALLY enjoying this book, these characters, and the storyline. I love the writing style of the author too. Very descriptive, accurate detailing of people, places, and things. Believable scenarios coupled by equally believable and likeable characters who react to situations in believable ways. The romance was perfectly paced. The attraction/resistance tug-o-war was well-balanced to the plot and timely for when and where it happened. I really want to gobble Sergi AND Jules up. They’re cute and exotic and smokin’-hot for each other – and I absolutely adore it.
A Shadow of Wings will always be my favourite title by the lovely Linda Gayle, but this one is a close second. 🙂 I doubt though that I will be rereading this book anytime soon. The other one however… 😈
And keeping to form, I’m going to be completely honest with you: when I first read that Ito was drinking wine made of tiger’s blood and eating their flesh to receive their abilities, strength, and longevity… I instantly thought, “Hoshit—This is some freaky ass Wolf’s Rain shit going on here!” (For those of you who are anime fans – and hopefully GOOD anime fans AKA HAVE SEEN WOLF’S RAIN HUR HUR – then you’ll know what I mean.)
It was actually really sad and a bit disappointing what happened to the sister (not specifying WHICH – you’ll have to read to find out.) Still, the story ended well… VERY well in fact. Another great from one of my favourite authors! 🙂
Would you recommend this book?:
Hur hur~ What do you think?